At the early hours of this morning at 7am, a storey building apartment which occupies students and indigenes in Sokori area of Abeokuta caught fire.
The ugly incident occurred at the residential environs just after the main road, around Oke-Sokori after the modern pedestrian bridge and before the Ita-Iyalode Roundabout, Abeokuta.
Speaking to one of the victims who divulged to PublicFaces that the fire started at the backyard of the first floor by a child who is between the ages of 5 to 8-year-old while he was playing with matches and by the time the matches yard stick was illuminated, the fire caught an abandoned chair in front of a store where eletricity generators with full tank of gasoline(petrol) were kept. The fire from there spread to the roof and the rest of the rooms in the first floor while the ground floor was partially affected and no live was lost.
PublicFaces magazine gathered that the occupants were not able to contact the Ogun State Sire and Safety Service on time as at the time the fire erupted because they were not able to get their contact lines. But they eventually arrived at the scene to help put out the rest of the fire after people around the neighborhood had been putting out the fire. The Ogun State Civil Defense Corp were also on ground.
We also gathered that the occupants were only able to Savage few of their belongings. Speaking to another victim, a student of Moshood Abiola Polytechnic and a tenant in the building who has has just resumed for his Second Year in Higher National Diploma (HND II) (pledged to be anonymous) said he had lost all of his credentials and other school files to the fire.
Few days to Xmas and new year, where do we start from? where do we go from here? These were the bitter lamentations from victims of the inferno.
See Pictures of the incident below..